Places to See in Dhar
Phadke Museum Dhar is host to a studio which not only has a history but offers learning and has many interesting sculptures lying in a closet. The Maharaja of Dhar was a patron of arts. He invited several artists to his kingdom during the first half of the twentieth century. Raghunath Krishna Phadke was then a renowned sculpturist in Mumbai who accepted the invitation and started a studio in Dhar.
The studio has several works of Mr. Phadke and his students. Academically perfect, these sculptures have caught the personality of the model in a royal way. You would find sculptures of Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Ram Mohan Roy and all those recognizable figures from our national movement. There are portrait sculptures of Kings, queens, local chieftains and spiritual leaders.
Bhoj Shala In 1903 by K. K. Lele, Superintendent of Education in the Princely State of Dhar found a Sanskrit and Prakrit inscription from the time of Arjunavarman in the walls of the Kamal Maula mosque at Dhar. The text of the inscription includes part of a drama composed by Madana, the king's preceptor. The inscription reports that the play was performed before Arjunavarman in the temple of Sarasvati. The inscription, which is engraved with exceptional beauty, is displayed inside the entrance. The inscriptions, prompted Lele to describe the building as Bhoj Shala because King Bhoja was the author of a number of works on poetics and grammar.
Lath Masjid Lath Masjid 'Pillar Mosque', to the south of the town like the tomb of Shaykh Changal, was built as the Jami' Mosque by Dilawar Khan in 1405. It derives its name from a pillar made of iron which is supposed to have been set up in the 11th century. The pillar, which was nearly 13.2 m high according to the most recent assessment, is fallen and broken; the three surviving parts are displayed on a small platform outside the mosque. It carries a later inscription recording a visit of the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1598 while on campaign towards the Deccan. The pillar's original stone footing is also displayed nearby.
Jheera Bagh Palace
Jheera Bagh Palace Outside the town, off the road to Mallu, the Pawars built a palace at Hazira Bagh from the 1860s. Known as the Jheera Bagh Palace and presently run as a heritage hotel, the complex was renovated by Maharaja Anand Rao Pawar IV in the 1940s. Graciously designed in an unpretentious art deco style, it is one of the most elegant and forward-looking examples of early modern architecture in north India.